The Livelihoods, Gender & Child Protection Supervisor role is provided by Australian Red Cross (ARC) as part of the commitment made in the aftermath of TC Pam with funds raised from the ARC TC Pam Appeal.
The Livelihoods, Gender & Child Protection Supervisor (TC Pam Recovery) will report to the VRCS Programs or Health Coordinator and the ARC Senior Program Lead assisting with the bilateral ARC/VRCS recovery work across Efate and the provincial branches.
The Livelihoods, Gender & Child Protection Supervisor is responsible for managing the livelihoods recovery work including: skills workshops for young men and women from urban areas of Efate and offshore islands.
The Livelihoods, Gender & Child Protection Supervisor is also responsible for supporting the Gender, Protection and Inclusion focal point through the implementation of work including: mainstreaming gender, protection and inclusion in all Red Cross activities, ensuring compliance for all Red Cross staff and volunteers with the Vanuatu Red Cross Child Protection Policy and managing community awareness activities. This work is part of the broader ARC/VRCS bilateral recovery Livelihoods and Protection, Gender & Inclusion work as outlined within the One Recovery Plan.
The Livelihoods, Gender & Child Protection Supervisor will oversee the management, implementation and evaluation of the Livelihoods Project. A strong focus on partnership development and community consultation is essential to this role.
This role will also support the implementation of Gender, Protection and Inclusion work within the bilateral recovery localities and will assist with other ARC funded programs within Vanuatu as requested. This will include ensuring all recovery programs have risk assessments for child protection and also supporting the ARC senior program lead in monitoring, accountability and evaluation aspects within all of the ARC / VRCS recovery work.
This role must support a community development model for recovery encompassing strong community participation, accountability aspects and establishing behaviour change.
Working within Vanuatu Red cross Society (VRCS), this role will work as a key role within the ARC/VRCS recovery team, as well as work in a coordinated way with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and French Red Cross (FRC) as part of the Red Cross Movement coordinated operation.
- Lead the implementation monitoring and evaluation for Livelihoods, Gender and Protection projects:
Ø Prepare and implement activity plans for achieving program outcomes: including developing partnerships and maintaining relationships with training providers and leading the community consultation process to shortlist and select participants
Ø Manage multiple project activities through effective time management and prioritisation of tasks
Ø Prepare accurate and cost-effective budgets for program activities
Ø Assist in the preparation of funding proposals for livelihoods, gender and protection projects
- Oversee and facilitate implementation of livelihoods skills workshop programs
Ø Oversee the delivery of the training programs to ensure participants are going through the program smoothly
Ø Supervision of livelihoods team to complete project activities
Ø Recruitment and liaison with workshop instructors and/or partner providers
Ø Maintaining records of participants
- Coordinate and oversee effective monitoring and evaluation of livelihoods, gender and protection programs including assessments, baselines, end-lines and evaluations as required.
4. Promote compliance with the Child Protection Policy within VRCS and Red Cross partners:
Ø Assist in facilitating regular training for staff and volunteers
Ø Maintain and update child protection database
Ø Brief new staff and delegates on child protection responsibilities as required
Ø Manage police clearance applications and document compliance for volunteers
Ø Oversee and ensure compliance of all recovery programs with child protection risk assessments
- Manage finances relating to Livelihoods, Gender & Protection activities, including:
Ø Effective and accurate budget tracking
Ø Requesting funds to carry out agreed tasks in a timely manner
Ø Managing activities within agreed budgets
Ø Acquitting funds, including providing the specified documentation
6. Participate in inter-agency groups and maintain strong working relationships with partner organisations, government and other external stakeholders
- Prepare trip reports following each trip and each community engagement
8. Program Coordination
Ø Assist ARC Senior Recovery Advisor with the coordination of the ARC contribution to planning and operational activities.
Ø Support the continued development of the Red Cross TC Pam Vanuatu recovery program, (across all localities for programs) including timelines, community needs assessments, activity plans, detailed budgets, risk assessment, implementation , monitoring and reporting in consultation with VRCS and IFRC counterparts.
Ø Work with Child Protection, Gender and Inclusion (PGI) personnel to ensure that the design, implementation and monitoring of all activities promotes safety, inclusion and equality for all.
Ø Work with Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Learning (MERL) personnel through a participatory process to assist in implementing the MERL framework that includes success measures, defined by stakeholders and the affected population.
Ø In addition to key responsibilities all workers are expected to contribute at least 10% of their work time to assisting VRCS and will need to be flexible to take on other tasks as requested by their manager.
Any other tasks which may be assigned by the VRCS Programs Coordinator or the ARC Senior Program Lead.
Position Selection Criteria
Qualifications and profile required
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline
· Skills and experience in livelihoods program management and/or gender and protection
· Strong financial management skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Effective time management skills
· Well organised
· Able to work both as part of a team and with minimal supervision
· Capable and confident public speaker and trainer
· Current driver’s licence with clean driving record
· Willing to travel as required
Knowledge & skills required
· Prior experience managing community development or disaster recovery programs
· Experience in community consultation and stakeholder engagement
· Proven experience managing financial information and program budgets
· Livelihoods and/or gender and protection experience desirable
· Understanding of gender, inclusion and protection principles
· Excellent communication skills in Bislama
· Excellent communication skills (oral and written) in English
· Knowledge of the Vanuatu context and cultural traditions
· Ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel
· Current drivers licence
· Knowledge of the Red Cross Movement is an asset
· This is a full time position.
· Flexibility in working schedule will be required according to needs.
VRCS is an organisation involved in emergency, early recovery and development programs. Therefore, all VRCS staff have to be available at any time in order to respond to any emergency work, should the need arise.
All Vanuatu Red Cross staff must agree to and sign the Child Protection Policy and Code of Conduct as well as providing a current police clearance. This is a condition of employment.